- Give a beggar a dime and he'll bless you. Give him a dollar and he'll curse you for withholding the rest of your fortune. Poverty is a bag with a hole at the bottom.
- A man is free to go up as high as he can reach up to; but I, with all my style and pep, can't get a man my equal because a girl is always judged by her mother.
- The trouble with us is that the ghetto of the Middle Ages and the children of the twentieth century have to live under one roof.
- Without comprehension, the immigrant would forever remain shut--a stranger in America. Until America can release the heart as well as train the hand of the immigrant, he would forever remain driven back upon himself, corroded by the very richness of the unused gifts within his soul.
- Poverty was an ornament on a learned man like a red ribbon on a white horse.