- Statesman are suspected of plotting against mankind, rather than consulting their interests, and are esteemed more crafty than learned.
- Everyone has as much right as he has might.
- The most tyrannical governments are those which make crimes of opinions, for everyone has an inalienable right to his thoughts.
- Freedom is absolutely necessary for progress in science and the liberal arts.
- He who would distinguish the true from the false must have an adequate idea of what is true and false.
- Will and intellect are one and the same.
- Man is a social animal.