Sholom Aleichem, the pseudonym of Sholom Yakov Rabinowitz, whose name is actually a conventional Yiddish greeting meaning "Peace be with you," was born in the Ukraine to a wealthy father who was a religious scholar.
- No matter how bad things get, you got to go on living, even if it kills you.
- The rich swell up with pride, the poor from hunger.
- A bachelor is a man who comes to work each morning from a different direction.
- Gossip is nature's telephone.
- Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.