- A woman can look both moral and exciting--if she also looks as if it was quite a struggle.
- Being an old maid is like death by drowning--a really delightful sensation after you have ceased struggling.
- I am not belittling the brave pioneer men but the sunbonnet as well as the sombrero has helped to settle this glorious land of ours.
- I think that in order to write really well and convincingly, one must be somewhat poisoned by emotion.
- Men often marry their mothers.
- Only amateurs say that they write for their own amusement. Writing is not an amusing occupation. It is a combination of ditch-digging, mountain-climbing, treadmill and childbirth. Writing may be interesting, absorbing, exhilarating, racking, relieving. But amusing? Never!
- There are only two kinds of people in the world that really count. One kind's wheat and the other kind's emeralds.
- You lose in the end unless you know how the wheel is fixed or can fix it yourself.